A collection of half-inebriated, non-sequitur rants and ramblings from the hellish mondane world of retail pharmacy.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Blood

Okay, thats it. I am sick and tired of this shit. Its not that I am a total germ-a-phobe, its just that I don't think I have to deal with unnecessary exposure. I just don't understand how I get so many damn prescriptions with blood on them. Granted, they're not sopping wet with blood, but there is a distinct smear of blood on them. Oddly enough, its always on the backside of the prescription. I only find the blood after I am done handling it and go to slap my printed sticker on the back. SON OF A BITCH!!!

How do these people do it? I just don't get it. I am overly aware of when and where I am bleeding, as are most people. Furthermore, how do these people not know they are bleeding, and then proceed to get it on their prescription? I just don't get it.

You may be thinking that all these people are coming in from dental operations or something else that produces an open wound. This is, however, not the case. This is for stuff like Prozac and Lexapro. Where is this mystery blood coming from? How do these people not know about blood bourne pathogens? Other than vampires (which don't fucking exist) NO ONE LIKES TOUCHING OTHER PEOPLE'S BLOOD.

Here's the point. If you are bleeding, keep your fucking prescription away from your wound. Your pharmacist doesn't want to touch it. There are no exceptions to this. And should you happen to let a drop of blood touch the prescription, do the right thing, TELL THE PERSON ABOUT TO HANDLE IT. Damnit. I would think this should be a common courtesy, but then again, it shouldn't be all that common. Think you fucking idiots.

Alright rant over. Back to waiting for the labs results on what the fuck the brown streak on that last prescription was.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I totally understand. When I was a tech at one of my old jobs we got a few prescriptions that were just COVERED in blood. There was one person who I actually cut some slack to because he had just had his hand eaten up a table saw, it was bandaged up, and he couldn't feel the blood leaking through the bandages. When he looked at the bloody prescription he actually asked if we had a plastic bag or anything i got a ziplock bag and he slid it in there. Other than that man, I don't know how the hell these people get blood all over their prescriptions and why they don't warn you that what you're touching with your bare hands is covered in blood. I was afraid for myself a few times.

11:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I contracted Hep C while working in a hospital pharmacy (we also filled scripts for our ER pts, in-patients going home, out-patients, employees,and for drugs not obtainable elsewhere. We were the only 24-hr operation at the time. Obesity and working in the hospital pharmacy were my ONLY risk factors. The hand sink was in the back of the pharmacy; I begged the operations manager to put in a sink near the intake window. No way. Management never handled scripts, never got Hep C. After a year of interferon, I developed cirrhosis, and the constant devil that liver transplant is the only cure. When alcohol sanitizers came available, I had to get permission from God to install one near the front counter. Idiots. There's a special place in hell for ignorant managers.

5:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We ended up posting signs at the drop off and drive through that we would not accept any bloodstained scripts. I could never figure out how they got it on there either.

8:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home