A collection of half-inebriated, non-sequitur rants and ramblings from the hellish mondane world of retail pharmacy.

Friday, February 23, 2007

What to whine about?

Boy, its been a typical shitty week. Nothing really out of the ordinary. For what its worth, out of the ordinary would include polite customers, physicians not writing shitty prescriptions and nurses/medical assistants pulling their heads out of their asses. Nope, not this week. So, what shall I bitch about tonight?

I know, idiots that whine about the cost of their medications. You know type, sing along with me. "Sir, your total for your thirty Zofran is $40." Then like the idiot they are, they reach for their wallet to pull out their insurance card. Then they flip it at you. Not hand it to you, but arrogantly flip it at you. Jesus, I fucking hate it when they do that. They flip it at you because they didn't think you billed their insurance. They don't realize that $40 is their copay, and their copay is like 5% of the cost of the medication. They have no idea, not because they don't work in pharmacy, but because they are stupid. And the worst part is suffering through the agony while you wait for them to get the card. You have to wait for the 'appropriate' and 'socially acceptable' time to tell them that its been billed. You know damn well the whole time what they are thinking. You just want to shout "Hey! Cheap ass, be happy with your fucking copay and get the hell away from me before you puke."

And then they whine about it. I love telling them how much it actually costs. I love that look on their face. Its the look of total overwhelment (I think thats a word). FYI, you can acheive the same look by doing the "I got your nose" trick by hiding your thumb between your fingers. Works like a charm. Anyways, it just amazes me how unaware people are. I think my personal record for this reaction is a copay just under $10. To them, that clearly was too much for some Lipitor. Fuck, I get mad just thinking about it.

On the flip side, I fucking love it when someone understands how awesome of a deal they are getting and show some fucking graditude for their insurance. They know they are fortunate and I fucking respect that. These are the people that quickly earn my respect and their prescriptions get moved to the front of the line whenever they come in.

Alright, thats all for tonight. Keep those stupid questions coming in. If you've already submitted one, send in another and ask your colleagues. I know we get do a lot better.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My record for the insurance card flip is $2.00. I forget what med it was but I am pretty sure the real cost was well over $100.

9:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, got a couple of great reactions the other day...2 in one day!

patient came in for the Humira for the very first time, and FLIPPED OUT because of their $25 copay, then I told her what it actually cost. You know what she said..."well I feel it is still too much I always pay $10 no matter what I have ever gotten, but *sigh* I guess I will just have to pay it. I almost bitch slapped her right there!

Second, I had a patient come in for Zyvox and had a patient assistance program from the manufacturer, and it came back with a $5 copay, and when I rang it up he responds with "I thought it was going to be free" I told him that it says clearly that there is a $5 dispensing fee that you pay to the pharmacy. I told him we could just run it without the assistance program, the price will be $3859...he whipped out his wallet and pulled out the $5 and thanked me over and over!

7:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home